Saturday 5 September 2009

05/09: WE'RE ON HOLIDAY - YEAHHHHHHHH!

Hubby and I are off to our little house on Fuerteventura (Canaries) today for a very welcome break. We haven't visited since May as I prefer not to be there through the very hottest part of the year (or in School Holiday time)!!. It will be great to catch up with all our friends there. Many have been suffering as a result of the credit crunch and reduced tourism and a lot of bars and restaurants have closed this year although the majority of the failed businesses have been the ones who only cater to the Brits (and we tend not to use them). We don't go abroad to watch soap operas on the big screen or eat 'gut buster' English breakfasts. We like to eat/drink at the places who have a multicultural clientele - and eat local food etc.


So I won't be blogging much for the next few weeks as I'll be reliant on using an internet cafe in town.

Just to get me in the mood I've been looking through a few photos ... wish you were here??


This is one of our favourite beach bars - its a 10 mins walk from our house. We normally end up here at the end of each evening for a nightcap and/or plate of local cheeses. It a beautiful peaceful spot - aptly named 'Serena'


Rush hour on one of the many beautiful sandy beaches!


I love the diverse landscape on this island. Primarily it is volcanic and not very fertile but this makes for some spectacular scenery. Then you have mile upon mile of golden sand blown in from the Sahara and forming fabulous sand dunes (real Lawrence of Arabia stuff)


and here I am with my friend Jenni - scaling one of those huge sand dunes. This was taken on New Years day a couple of years back (and no frost or snow to be seen anywhere)!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, lucky you! It looks like a beautiful place and sounds as if you've found the ideal local businesses to frequent! Hope you have a wonderful time!

    Just think of all of us stuck at home once in a while! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x