Wednesday 14 August 2019

14/08: Now for something completely different

My local art Society (Canterbury) will hold a mini exhibition over the August Bank Holiday weekend - just 4 days at a Village Hall.     I've been successful with sales in previous years so I thought I'd enter a few pictures.

As its not permitted to enter works which have been exhibited with the Society before (and I can't remember which ones I've submitted over the years) I thought I'd better produce some new stuff.

Having been on Safari in Kenya for 2 years running I have lots of wildlife photos.   I asked David to choose a subject and he's given me a real challenge.   I'd have preferred a 'head & shoulders' lion or cheetah but he selected a photo of the leopard we saw sleeping in a tree.    It has a full belly so not sure if its pregnant or is sleeping off a big meal.

I'm not comfortable with backgrounds but I'm having a bash - the plan is to draw the forked branch and a few twigs but probably not much foliage/leaf.

I made myself work on the tree branch yesterday as its not something I enjoy doing.  It will need tweaking but I decided to move onto the leopard today.  All those spots  are very fiddly.   Sadly its a very wet and dismal day today and the light is poor so I've had to stop work at 4pm as I'm struggling to see.     The photo colours are a bit 'out' because of the poor light - it isn't as 'pink' as this photo appears.

Pastel and coloured pencil on light grey Clairefontaine Pastelmat paper.   Size approx 12" x 16" to fit a frame I have available at home.


Aaargh .... just looked at the ref photo and this photo together and can see I've gone a bit wrong with the markings - the larger ones should be more 'rosette' shaped  ... will rectify that tomorrow (and at least its not a commission so nobody will be complaining)!



2 comments:

  1. I think you are doing a great job Sue. Hubby chose the right picture for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jo. I've been catching up on your posts as I've not been Blogging for ages ... too many to comment on individually but I've saves a few recipes! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x