Wednesday 20 March 2019

19/3: TOBY - cat in coloured pencil WIP 2

I photographed the progress pics yesterday but didn't have time to upload them to Blogger ... this morning my computer could not read the card and suggested I reformat it ... I did, and lost the photos in the process.   So here are more I took this morning.  (Got to love computers)!!


I stopped work at this point yesterday as I needed to think about what to do  about the white fur on his back.   The area to the top left of the drawing is actually white fur but it looks a little weird.   I think I might make him 'tabby' in that section.  

When I started the drawing I thought it would be something to submit to the judges in respect of this year's UKCPS International Exhibition but if it doesn't get past the judges I would give the drawing of Toby to his 'mum', my neighbour as a gift.   She's in her 90s and has recently taken up art herself but I don't think she's attempted pet portraits yet!   Obviously, she'll know his back is white rather than tabby but I hope to get away with some artistic licence as the focus should be on his face

He has lovely long whiskers but I won't add those till I've finished tweaking the rest of his fur. That's why I've left quite a lot of room at the bottom of the picture - whisker space!     Its hard getting white whiskers over the other colours but I'm hoping my Luminance white pencil will live up to its hype (recently bought but not really tested yet)!


This is the mount I'll be using - its just laid over the drawing at the moment but I think it highlights the area I'm concerned about.  The white fur doesn't really show up even though I've used greys to add some shadows - so it looks as though the drawing is unfinished.    Seeing it on screen has convinced me now to add some darker fur to it.







4 comments:

  1. This is outstanding Sue! Definitely a winner. Amazing work with his eyes.... LOVE him! His whiskers will be the icing to the cake!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I like all your pet portraits but if this one doesn't make the UKCPS grade, nothing should!!!!

    Hmmm, still couldn't post with Google account but hopefully with the anonymous setting!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I like all your pet portraits but if this one doesn't make the UKCPS grade, nothing should!!!!

    Well, I think Google hates me (or maybe my security apps!)as I've tried to post with both my google log-in and in anonymous mode. Now trying the name/url option!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan. Both posts got through (at last). The reason for the delay is that I've got comment moderation enabled because I get so many spam comments on this Blog.

    Thanks for persevering!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x