Tuesday 6 September 2011

06/09: BUNNY PROJECT

This is the picture we were given to complete on the final day of Mike Sibley's workshop.   We spent two days working on negative drawing skills and tackling textures commonly found when drawing backgrounds.  This picture was designed to use many of the techniques we'd covered.   Its in graphite pencil on Mellotex paper.



I am changing the picture slightly as I there is a rock in the bottom left corner of the reference we worked from, I'm replacing it with grasses/leaves which I'm 'making up' as I go along.   I think this is a little 'fuzzier' than the original drawing but not much point fiddling with it till I've finished and am ready to send it to Mike for critique.

Now I've posted this I hope it will spur me on to do bits and bobs every day when I get a few spare minutes - otherwise it won't get started till I've finished the current commissions so probably end October.

Anybody who has been on one of Mike's workshops will be familiar with the voice I have ringing in my ears 'Go Darker - push the background back' !!!

It was a great experience and I came away with lots of ideas and more confidence to tackle these sort of detailed backgrounds (in graphite at least).   I now understand why Mike can easily spend 200+ hours on a drawing ... but that's a luxury not available to most of us unfortunately if we undertake commission work.  We really would be starving artists!.  

11 comments:

  1. Mike's drawings always leave me gasping in awe. I can see his influence in this and think it will be gorgeous when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're doing an amazing job with this. Fun little composition! Your bunny looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great workshop and what a lovely piece of art. Love it :D I would not be any good at spending 200 hours on a piece even if I wasn't doing commissions. I think there are those that can and those that can't ~ I fall into the latter, it would drive me mental!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Sue, it is gonna be super when it is done. Backgrounds is something I need to get to grips with too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have managed to get the bunny to stand out really well amongst the other textures and I like the idea of the added grasses, looking forward to seeing it finished. After going to Mike's workshop I found that my coloured pencil techniques took a big step up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Mike's work is inspirational but I'm another one who probably couldn't spend 200+ hours on one picture - too short an attention span!

    I'm also hoping Mike's tutoring will improve my cp techniques Pauline ... it certainly makes me think more about tones/shadows etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, looks like a very informative workshop and that you learned so much. I am always attracted to drawings in graphic pencil. Negative space is important too. What type of surface is mellotex paper? I've never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kendra
    I buy Mellotex direct from Mike. Its a white very smooth paper/card which takes a lot of 'punishment' used by printers. It doesn't have much tooth so not very good for coloured pencil or pastel work (although I have done a couple of cp works on it).

    The paper Mike supplies is 250gsm although its available in different weights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sue, Just had to say I'm loving this piece- right up my street! Fantastic detail - looking forward to an update.

    Jilly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jilly
    I'm itching to get back and do more work on it but the commissions have to come first :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x