Thursday 8 March 2012

08/03: AMAZING GRACE

Yesterday was my usual day working as a Volunteer for Pilgrims Hospice eBay office, so no artwork done ... but today I cracked on with the Standard Poodle, Grace.    A timely reminder has been emailed from the UKCPS Blogmaster advising that the entry deadline for the members' Spring Exhibition is 10th March - this isn't a juried exhibition, because space is limited only 24 pictures can be hung, so selection is by ballot.

I've decided to submit Grace's picture just for fun.  I think this is one of the fastest coloured pencil drawings I've done but I have a problem knowing when to stop and I've spoiled too many practice pictures by overworking them in the past.  Now its 'finished' I regret not moving her more to the left side of the paper so her eyes are more central in the picture ... but it can't be changed as I cut the pastelmat from a large sheet at the beginning.      So I'm sending this image in straight away and then I can't make any alterations!
 


and if she is selected, this is the mount/frame I'll be using (another of my 'on sale' purchases from Hobbycraft)


 I'm pleased to say that the weather has improved today - we managed to spend a couple of hours this afternoon mowing grass and tidying borders.   I hope this bodes well for visitor numbers to Whitstable in the next few days.  Our Open Evening at the Gallery starts in about an hour's time so must dash and get ready .... going to break the diet with wine and nibbles tonight ... I think we've earned them.   



15 comments:

  1. You have captured her perfectly Sue, and I love it that you have done it on Black, makes for a striking picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vic. She really does have a wonderful 'smiley' face doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, hope you get in I think this could take the People's Vote. I love Pastelmat it is so much quicker for CP but I haven't tried the black yet, must order some.
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm not sure about that Pauline .. but David doesn't really like this picture so, going on previous experiences, it should do well!! :-)

    Seriously, this took approx 6 hours in total which is pretty fast for a cp work .... using Pastelmat really speeds things up doesn't it? No solvents used, just a bit of blending with a cotton bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Speedy Sue, lol. 6 hours is pretty darn fast for any medium never mind cp. I think Pauline is right and if Grace makes it into the show, I also think she will get the public's vote, she looks so happy and you have cracked all those curls in the coat, one of the things I think is the hardest, that and Springer spaniel's ears. She looks brilliant in that frame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bev ... using Pastelmat with cps is 'faster' but I also think working on a non-commissioned picture with no pressures also helps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm speechless again, Sue!!!! This poodle is fantastic! You did an incredible job on this and definitely a winner!!!! Is this strictly pencils?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're not Sue, you're Speedy Gonzalez!!!! With this result in that time frame, I'm really gonna try cp on the PastelMat!

    Love the way you did the "poodle fuzz" and her expression is so full of joie de vivre that the portrait seems alive. I agree about the composition but since it's done, I really don't think it's that big of a deal.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lene and Hilda.
    Yes this is pure coloured pencil - 90% Polychromos with some Derwent Coloursoft.

    Thanks Jan .. she's certainly a live wire isn't she? When I started the drawing I was focussing on getting the ears within the aperture - didn't give any thought to the eye position ... hindsight is a Wonderful Thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! because of my English - I don't have any words... beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great work! makes me smile seeing such a happy looking dog

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW speechless here. This is awesome Sue. That's a lot of hair to. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must have some serious patience to do all that fuzzy hair and you did a great job with it. I really like the off center eyes and think it is more interesting this way. I haven't tried pastelmat either and need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Laura Jennifer Dors and Jeanne :-)
    Sorry I'm behind with Blogging as only have limited access to Internet whilst here on Fuerteventura.
    Surprisingly the hair/curls didn't take very long - I think the combination of cps and pastelmat suited it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x