Sunday 19 February 2012

19/02: SUNNY SUNDAY

We had bright sunshine for most of the day (but very cold temperatures) so made the most of it and went for a nice long walk to blow away some cobwebs!

Here's the latest dog - completed in pastel on Fisher 400 sanded paper.


As the light wasn't good I didn't stop to take Work in Progress pictures.

I am currently working on a cat pastel on light grey Pastelmat.  I have taken a couple of progress photos so will show those later.

The graphite portrait drawn from an old passport photo was tweaked a little more.  I've struggled to get the 'softer' look the client wanted whilst downplaying the shadows which are quite harsh on the original ref.  This latest version has been approved but I'm left with the feeling that I haven't captured the image he has in his mind ...  (apologies, the camera has emphasised the white highlights in her eyes - they aren't that dominant in real life).

 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful portrait!!! Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I really appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a wonderful portrait. It really does capture that nostalgia and that almost shy look. It is so hard working from old photos I think...well done to you. The spaniel is great ~ what a character :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chrissy. Its very sad that this lovely lady has now passed away and her husband told me himself that he'd be looking very closely at the portrait. I just don't feel I managed to capture that elusive quality he was looking for - but I did my best so I appreciate your comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sue, I remember the reference you posted and I think you've nailed the likeness. It must be so difficult to try to draw someone who has passed on especially when you didn't know them. I'm sure the client has a certain memory of the lady while she was alive and since you can't possibly draw a memory, I think you've done a wonderful job with what you had to work with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x