Friday 9 February 2018

UKCPS - Annual International Exhibition entries

Well, yet again I'm a last minute merchant.     Deadline for entries for the Annual Exhibition is tomorrow - and we'll be out for the day, so I've just posted a couple of entries.

Sadly I know I've overworked the drawing of the young girl.    For some reason the light colours keep 'seeping' into the cork surface of the paper and 'dulling' down the picture.   This is the third time I've had the problem with coloured pencils on pastelmat - not sure if its a duff batch as I never used to have this problem.    I gave it a hefty spray with fixative and did my best to bring back the highlights and lighter tones but without much success.   I can't add any more pencil to the white areas so had to call it a day.

I was going to ditch this drawing and I did make a start on the drawing of a Bulbul bird I photographed in India and which David liked.   But birds aren't really 'my thing' and progress was slow and clearly I wasn't going to finish in time so back to plan A.

I've submitted her and lets see what happens - the standard of the exhibition entries is just soooo good these days that I know it doesn't stand a chance but I feel I have to try - in 11 years I've entered 10 times and had work accepted each time, earning me Gold Signature Status, so I would like to be in with a chance of getting my Platinum Signature Status in the next 5 years (work juried into 15 annual exhibitions).

Originally she was drawn to fit a larger mount/frame landscape orientation but I've reduced the size and made it a portrait orientation to show less background



and this is the Rajasthani farmer in his colourful turban

so that's it.   Its too late to worry about them now.     This should be a lesson to me to prepare months in advance to ensure I have work to submit.



9 comments:

  1. Personally, I don't think the Indian girl looks overworked at all. It's actually my favorite among the two entries and I really like the way you've cropped it.

    The farmer also looks good and I think both of them should be juried into the exhibition.

    I think you're always too hard on yourself and I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised with the jury's results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck!

    I could see the colourful turban farmer get in, its very eye catching :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the farmer and especially his turban, you have done a great job with all the folds. Good luck with your entries.
    I haven't entered this year, there are too many exhibitions held in May/June, and in which I have had more luck with sales. So for the first time since the beginning of UKCPS I have no entry :-(.
    Regarding Pastelmatt, I gave up using it when I had the same problem with colour disappearing into the surface. Just drove me crazy. It is so popular amongst cp artists that perhaps we have both had duff batches? I find it difficult to think that others will use it despite its drawbacks so it must be our batches, (mine I bought some years ago).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting ladies.

    Bev .. each time this happened to me I swore I wouldn't use pastelmat with cps again but the attraction is the speed at which you can lay down colour. However I really do think I'll save pastelmat for use with pastels only in future. Its so disheartening when the colour keeps dulling like this.

    I'd not planned to enter anything this year due to time constraints. With the UKCPS and my local Canterbury Art Society both moving their main exhibitions to the early part of the year the timing really doesn't work for me anymore as we do a lot of traveling in the Winter months. I'm taking a punt on these entries .. nothing ventured nothing gained! Sorry you haven't got anything in this year ... I did see there's a wildlife exhibition/show scheduled soon for your part of the World so I wish you well with that if you enter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sue, I think I will give this new Wildlife exhibition a try, although the entry date is May (why is May so popular!!!) so it doesnt give me a whole heap of time to get a couple of new pictures done. Might try pastels or acrylics they are a whole lot faster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue!! Been so long I have on blogger..wow, your portraits are beautiful and I missed seeing your work! Cheers, from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Colette. Likewise, I go months without posting on Blogger than feel guilty and do a few catch up posts. I'm not getting much artwork done at the moment as hubby has 'itchy feet' so we've done a lot of travelling. I am racking up lots of ref. photos though so hopefully will get stuck into those later in the year. I think many artists have opted to show work on FB these days. I tag onto hubby's FB account but don't have my own.

    Anyway thanks for looking in and commenting. Lovley to 'see' you on Blogger. Suex

    ReplyDelete
  8. These two paintings are fabulous Sue!! I love the little Indian girl.... the Rajasthani farmer is SO amazing. I'm an Associate Member of the Pastel Society and I have until September for entry.. I've been entering for about 4 years and the competition is crazy!! SO much talent out there... Maybe this year will be my year? lol
    The best of luck with the two paintings, my friend...they're both winners...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hilda. Thanks for your lovely comments. I don't do much artwork at the moment (travelling a lot) and everything seems to be rushed. I wish you luck with your Pastel Society entry/ies. I'm sure you'll do very well, your work is beautiful. Suexx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x