Monday 18 March 2019

18/03: Toby - Neighbour's cat in Coloured Pencil on Pastelmat

With the upsets of the last year, and now all the travelling that David (he of the itchy feet) has been organising, I've not really settled back to the drawing board in 2019.

We aren't really going to be here for any length of time till May and so I've got a couple of commissions lined up for then but am still not taking on  any new ones (apart from 'returning' clients).

With a bit of 'whip cracking' from an artist e-friend (thanks Jan) I've started another cp drawing yesterday afternoon.   I'm a Gold Signature Status Member of the UK Coloured Pencil Society having had work juried into their annual International Exhibitions on more than 10 occasions so I'm  conscious that if I am going to achieve my Diamond status I need to work on some entries to put to the jury for the next few years .   Although its the UK society, membership is open to artists from around the world and the standards just keep going up and up ... its getting tougher each year

I've got lots of 'nearly completed' works in my studio but nothing really grabs me ... I usually work better when adrenaline kicks in so I'll probably be burning the midnight oil 2 days before entries close  putting finishing touches to several drawings ...

Enough excuses!!

Toby is my 92 year old neighbour's cat.   He's a rescue and he's really fallen on his feet as he's probably the most spoiled moggy in the County.   He's quite timid and usually runs when I talk to him which is a shame as I love cats.      He was snoozing on our patio one day and I managed to take a couple of photos of him looking suspiciously at me/the camera before he took off.     I have a square mount/frame in my studio which I bought years ago and have never used so I thought I'd use Toby as the subject to fill the frame.

I haven't drawn a cat for quite a while and would normally work in Pastel rather than Coloured Pencil but we'll see how this goes.

I'm using Faber Castell Polychromos pencils on white Pastelmat paper (which is a creamy white, not a bright white).    I'll probably be using a white  Luminance pencil later to add some highlights but this will be pure coloured pencil.

I didn't photograph this till late afternoon when the daylight had gone so its all a bit 'grey'.   I'll get better pics further down the line.

He's too pretty to be a male cat I think.




4 comments:

  1. He looks so real Sue....and you’re not even finished! I think a pencil drawing is perfect for this little guy... you’ll be able to draw the fur beautifully!!!! Toby is definitely a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if 'he' has more orange/brown on 'him' 'he' is a she :) very rare for calicos to be male, is happens but not that often

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hilda.
    Toby is definitely a male (albeit neutered now). The ginger bits are quite subtle but he was lying in the sunlight which showed them up in my photo. I agree with your point about the colouring though. I've had calico's over the years (although we call them tortoiseshell or torties) they've all been female.

    ReplyDelete
  4. torties-no white/black/orange
    calicos-white/orange/black

    and then you get different colour variants, like lavender torties etc :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x