Monday 18 February 2019

18 FEB: Odds & Ends and Last Minute Things!

Just building up to the task of packing cases - not something I enjoy doing and I always leave it till the last possible moment.   Decision making is more tricky this time as we'll be travelling in a very humid country and whilst our car and hotels will have aircon we'll be out in the open a lot sightseeing and eating al fresco.   There's going to be lots of things going in the case then being taken out again I guess!

I'm procrastinating again ....

Anyway, I added whiskers etc to the little dog, neatened the chest area and generally 'tweaked' a few bits, her Mum has approved her and she'll be wending her way to Ireland later today.





The Grey Man from Lyon (for want of a better title) is finished - until I get back from Singapore when I'll see it with fresh eyes and will no doubt play with it a little more. 

I've photographed the drawing again today as the weather is brighter so the colours are a little more true to life.   I've experimented by laying different colour mounts over the drawing to see which one works best.

Ivory mount - I don't think this is right ...


Sand coloured mount - makes the subject look a little 'warmer' I think ...


This is a very old (damaged) mount so ignore the condition .... I think black (or at least dark grey) will be best - do you agree?



and whilst rummaging around my room looking for mounts, I rediscovered the drawing of Thierry I started way back last Summer.   I never finished the drawing and then totally forgot about him.   He was an amazing character with an 'interesting' face but maybe not one to appeal to exhibition judges.   I think I liked him so much because I witnessed his brilliant dancing and interaction with the saxaphonist who was entertaining  us on the beach in Fuerteventura and it was his exuberance that shone through.

I may go back to this one after our holiday ...


Time to face the suitcase packing now!

2 comments:

  1. Sue, the little dog came out fabulous and the owner should be well-pleased. I like the mount you chose for it too. The black edges really complement the painting.

    And, yes, the black mount for the Grey Man looks best for him.

    Finish Thierry! (I'm getting the whip!) We both know that what gets juried into a show will surprise you and I think this portrait of Thierry is one of those 'sleepers'!

    Have fun on your trip!

    BTW, tried to test post on your Malaysia blog several times without success so please don't think I'm ignoring it! Hope you can tweak the settings or whatever so it's possible while you're gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan.

    I have no idea why Blogger allows you to comment on this Blog but not on the new one (which has exactly the same settings ticked). Whoever decided that computers actually made life easier for us? I've spent ages trying to work out what the problem is - some friends are now able to make comments so I'm sorry you can't. If I get some free time tomorrow I'll have one last try to get it working for everyone.

    Thanks for your input re. the mount - I think dark Grey or Black with black frame will work best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x